Don’t get me wrong…I love Pong to death. But WHY does he crave so much attention??
When I do homework, he sits on it.
When I take a bath, he stares at it.
When I watch TV, he has to sit an watch it with me.
When I fix my hair and makeup, he meows constantly.
When I do my homework on the computer, he has to watch what I do.
And when I’m eating, he glares at me.
So WHY does he do this??
Well, there are a NUMBER of different reasons that some cats just don’t hush.
- Have you fed your cat recently? This is the main reason a cat will meow. But if you find yourself constantly having to feed him/her, there may be a bigger [medical] problem.
- A female cat in heat will meow constantly.
- Did you get a new kitten? Typically kittens will meow while they adjust to the new family and the new home.
- Cats are a lot like humans in the sense that if they lose someone, or another pet, that they’re close to, they will often ‘cry’ and mourn the loss through meowing.
- Any major changes in their house or environment causes a cat to meow excessively.
- Just like a baby, cats can’t talk. So when they want attention or food or a clean litter box, they will meow until the issue is resolved.
- Cats, especially males, are very territorial. If another cat crosses their turf they tend to let their owners know through the use of meowing.
- When a cat loses their cognitive ability in their old age, they meow a lot.
- If that cat is sick, or has some medical issues they’ll meow in a lower pitch.
- Cats are nocturnal animals. Therefore, they tend to meow more during the night.
So how do we deal with excessive meowing of our feline friends? Stay tuned in for the next blog posting to find out 🙂
Til we meet again!